Patient Story: Running Past the Pain

Airrosti, Pain Relief, Knee Pain, Running

This patient was suffering from serious knee pain. It seemed like he was all out of options until he heard about Dr. Travis Culver and Airrosti. Thanks to Airrosti’s treatment, this patient is now running pain-free! Read the full story below.

I’ve been a runner since I was in 8th grade. It’s something that I love to do.  My wife is a runner as well.  It’s something we love to do together.  The past 18 months have been tough as running hasn’t been possible…until now.
In December of 2014, I started experiencing some pretty significant knee pain as I was preparing to run an upcoming half marathon.  It persisted and worsened over the next month and in January of 2015, I decided I needed to take some time off.  Time off had always allowed me to recover from any injuries in the past, or at least I had thought.
After 4 months of rest, I decided to try running again in hopes of still running the half marathon.  I put on my running shoes and out the door I went.  Less than a mile later, I was in enough pain and I knew something was clearly wrong with my knee and it was not getting better.  I was referred to a knee specialist by a friend, and I finally made an appointment.  He prescribed physical therapy through a sports medicine & orthopedic clinic.  I was evaluated and treated for about 6 weeks.  When discharged, I was told I could start running again.  I tried and none of the  pain had subsided.  In fact, it seemingly worsened as it was becoming even painful to play soccer with my 2 sons in the yard.
Now that it was starting to affect my quality of life, it became a higher priority to find out what was going on. I had come to grips with potentially never running again, but now that it was affecting even my ability to enjoy playing with my 4 & 6 year old sons, it became more difficult to cope with.
The next step was an MRI.  This revealed I had a slight tear in my meniscus.  Finally, the issue was discovered and I’d be able to get it fixed.  In November of 2015 my arthroscopic surgery was scheduled.  When I woke up from surgery, my surgeon told me the tear was actually worse than the MRI had shown, but he was able to resolve the tear and everything was a success.
I was thrilled.  4-6 weeks of physical therapy and with any luck I’d be running in as short as 2 months.  As I began my physical therapy, things seemed to be going well, but there was still a feeling in my knee that simply didn’t feel right.  As I spoke with my physical therapist and explained how my knee was feeling, I never got the impression that I was receiving any unique response to the feedback I was giving.
I wrapped up my post surgery physical therapy and was told I could run.  I was nervous but finally decided it was time in April of 2015.  I ran 2 miles.  I got back from my run and told my wife, “I don’t think I’m ever going to run again, at least like I used to.”  It was clear to me during that run that my knee was not resolved.  I was giving up hope that I would ever run again.
Over the next 4-6 weeks, I began to notice a dull ache in my entire right leg, literally like having a toothache that went from my ankle to my hip.  Not super painful, just more annoying than anything.  I mentioned it to my wife and as we were talking, and she recalled that a friend that had told her about this place that worked on soft tissue injuries.
She promptly sent her a text message and received the reply, “Airrosti is the place Jeremy needs to go.”  My wife looked into it online, and discovered that there was an Airrosti location less than 20 minutes from where we lived, and the doctor shared my last name (which isn’t all that common – we are not related by the way).
I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Travis Culver on May 18th, 2016.  From the first visit, I could tell there was something special about Airrosti.  Dr. Culver wanted to hear my story, my history, and my background.  He seemed genuinely interested in me as a person, and getting me back to doing the things I loved. However, I was hesitant to get my hopes up.
After we talked for a bit and he evaluated me, he decided that I was a good candidate for treatment. I began to feel the relief in my leg after the 2nd session. That dull ache that was so persistent was disappearing.  I was diligent to do the stretching, exercises, and foam rolling as well as ice that Dr. Culver prescribed.  After my 3rd treatment, Dr. Culver required me to run.
I couldn’t believe it.  I laced up my running shoes and out I went.  To my surprise, almost exactly 18 months after I was forced to stop running, I was back on the road with next to no pain.  I had a total of 6 treatments with Dr. Culver, and I am now running pain free.  The nagging dull ache in my leg is gone.  I am still diligent to do the stretches, exercises, and especially the foam roller religiously.
The things I appreciated the most about Dr. Culver: He listened to me. He checked in with me via text message and allowed me to text him with any questions. He educated me. He was genuinely excited for me. He fixed me.
I truly believe that Dr. Culver was as thrilled as I was the first time I went for a run and had no pain.  I’ve never had a doctor/patient experience quite like this.  Moving forward, I feel like I have to tools to keep myself healthy with what I learned from Dr. Culver.  Should I experience any type of pain, without question, my first call will be to Dr. Culver.  I’m beyond grateful for what he’s done for me.
I can’t wait to lace up my running shoes tomorrow morning and head out for a run.  It’s a great feeling.  I look forward to sending Dr. Culver a text message when I complete that half marathon that I was sidelined for in 2015.

  • Jeremy Culver
No Comments

Leave a Reply