Strong, stable joints are a key factor in preventing nagging aches and pains. Because the hips, hamstrings, and quads all work together to help the kneecap move properly as the knee bends, it’s important to strengthen and work all these muscles to keep the knee strong and flexible.
Knee instability can lead to ACL injuries, irritated tendons, and many other lower body injuries, so the importance of knee strength should not be overlooked. By adding knee strengthening exercises into your usual workout routine, you can work to prevent future injuries while still improving your athletic performance.
*Disclaimer: Always consult with your doctor before starting any exercise program. If you experience any numbness, tingling or reproduction of your symptoms, please contact your doctor.
Glute bridges are one of the most common strengthening exercises and can be performed daily to prevent knee pain.
- Start lying on your back with your feet on the floor and knees bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Press your hips up to form a straight, diagonal line from your knees to your shoulders, and then lower back down.
- Focus on utilizing your glutes as opposed to your hamstrings with this move.
- Complete 2 sets of 10 repetitions.
Banded clams are a great exercise to include into your workout routine and requires minimal equipment.
- Wrap a resistance band around your legs, resting right above the knee.
- Lie on your side with your back and glutes against a wall.
- An optional step would be to place a mat on the ground before beginning for comfort.
- Bend your knees and press your heels together.
- Lift the top leg until it reaches a natural stopping point (about hip height when lying on your side), and without letting your pelvis rotate.
- With a slow and controlled motion, return to initial position and repeat as directed.
- Complete 3 sets of 15 repetitions.
If knee pain has been keeping you from doing the things you love, consider visiting Airrosti for an in-clinic or virtual appointment. Our treatment plan pinpoints pain at the source to eliminate it quickly with little-to-no downtime. Airrosti providers equip you with the knowledge and skills to speed your recovery and prevent future injuries.
Read our Medical Disclaimer here.